Monday, January 26, 2009

First Race in Norway

So we had our first race of the trip yesterday, which was really eventful. It is really something to be at the start and not having any clue to what is going on, and what people were saying to me. I was the first older skier out so I had nobody to follow. I arrived in the starting area and got to hear the whole race instructions in Norwegian. If there was not a clock telling me when to go I would have had a much delayed start.





The course was in a unusual layout. We first skied a 3km loop and then came through the start and finish and skied a 2km loop, there were a lot of really big hills.






During the awards ceremony the announcer tried to call up all of the Americans and get us all on to the podium. This took about 5 minutes because his English vocab consisted of only a few words. Once we were all up there he gave all of us these small glass bowls and a thanks for coming to the race, and welcomed us to Norway.




Today we went and watched ski jumping that was really, really cool. Here are some pictures.












No comments: