Monday, June 14, 2010

Finding our Stride

I’ve mentioned this a few times already, but it is worth mentioning again.  It is really important to take some time in the summer and really break down to the basics.  We’ve been doing that over the last couple of weeks, starting with a lot of no pole technique work and also some ski walking technique.  It all comes from the core (yeah, that’s why it’s called the core).  Our core marks our body’s center of mass, so all of our stability is driven from a strong and centered core.  If you want to go faster, just move your center of gravity further forward.  Duh! 

I guess it’s easily said, but what’s going to stop us from falling on our face?  Well, on roller skis, not much!  Hopefully, our strong core keeps us balanced in the upper body and the lean come from the ankles.  Once we get the position, our skis should accelerate on their own and keep up with our falling body.  Again, this is what we are striving for.

Same deal when we are ski walking.  Or running.  Yeah, running is what really got me on this mindset.  I’ve been reading a bit about Chi Running in order to help me prepare form Leadville, but the more I read about it, the more I think it relates to skiing.  Almost all the key points of Chi Running can be (and usually are) applied to Nordic.  Relaxed Shoulders, Stable Core, Forward Lean, Ankle Flexion.  Sound familiar?  I hope so. 

Whoa!  Enough about running.  Here were the top 5 things learned this week:
  1. Roller Ski silhouette pictures look awesome 
  2. Don’t roller ski by Bar-D on Tuesday afternoons
  3. Ski walking feels as weird as my hair
  4. Every roller ski is the ‘best roller ski ever’ when talking to those who were not there
  5. 4:30pm IS the hottest time of the day

No comments: