Wednesday, July 21, 2010

How Nordic Has Helped Me - Howard Grotts



          Nordic skiing is easily one of the hardest sports. The mental and physical strength required for the sport is enormous. I learned that shortly after joining the DNSC, even before there was snow on the ground. Coming from an athletic background almost entirely composed of cycling, Nordic skiing seemed very alien to me (I mean, who puts ski boots and roller skis in 80 degree weather?). I wasn't used to the precision or the intensity of the training involved.  But now I couldn't imagine not having different intensity training periods or skill specific workouts. I've found it very easy to apply the concepts I learned from Nordic skiing practices to biking. These concepts included having easy and harder weeks of training, technique specific days, and interval workouts.

            While all members of the DNSC were very fun people to be around, it was also my first introduction to young athletes who were truly dedicated to their sport. This was exemplified by the seriousness with which they approached their training and the amount of time they devoted to it. I was inspired by their drive to improve, and perhaps more than a little bit humbled when kids 3 or more years younger than I am were beating me. It was hard for me to embrace the sport at first, despite being around people who loved it, and, even now, I very much prefer biking to Nordic. But I have come to appreciate it, if only for the inspiration it gave me to bike at a brand new level.

Howard placed 2nd at US MTB Nationals in the Cross Country (XC) event and was crowned National Champion in the Short Track Cross Country (STXC) event.

No comments: